Staying Safe During COVID-19
During this unprecedented time, Helping Hands Healthcare is here to ensure that you and your loved ones are taken care of. We also make it our priority to educate our healthcare staff and patients on how to reduce the spread, remain positive and stay healthy during this time.
To ensure you are washing your hands properly every time, read the tips below and practice proper protocols.
1. Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
2. Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
3. Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
4. Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
5. Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
Washing hands with soap and water is the best way to get rid of germs in most situations. If soap and water are not readily available, you can use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. You can tell if the sanitizer contains at least 60% alcohol by looking at the product label.
- Apply the gel product to the palm of one hand (read the label to learn the correct amount).
- Rub your hands together.
- Rub the gel over all the surfaces of your hands and fingers until your hands are dry. This should take around 20 seconds.
What does physical distancing mean?
This means making changes in your everyday routines in order to minimize close contact with others, including:
- Avoiding crowded places and gatherings.
- Avoiding common greetings, such as handshakes.
- Limiting contact with people at higher risk (e.g. older adults and those in poor health).
- Keeping a distance of at least 2 arms lengths (approximately 2 metres) from others, as much as possible.
According to the CDC, your face mask should do the following when put on correctly:
- Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face.
- Be secured with ties or ear loops
Include multiple layers of fabric
Allow for breathing without restriction.
- Be able to be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to shape.
- Cover mouth and nose with no gaps between your face and the mask.
- Do not to touch eyes, nose or mouth when removing face covering.
Protecting Your Immune System.
Your first line of defence is to choose a healthy lifestyle.
- Don’t smoke.
- Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables.
- Exercise regularly.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
- Get adequate sleep.
- Try to minimize stress.
Your Mental Health.
It’s normal to feel worried and overwhelmed and in these difficult times you might be wondering how to best manage your stress and anxiety.
- Continue to make social connection a priority.
- Stay active.
- Take up a relaxation practice.
- Eat a brain-healthy diet to support strong mental health.
- Limit how often you check the news and only get news from reliable sources.
- Don’t skimp on sleep.
During the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, health experts and government officials have asked us to help battle the virus by keeping at least 6 feet away from others. However, physical distancing doesn’t mean being alone.
- Connect digitally through video chat.
- Attend a class or a virtual event.
- Reconnect with friends & family through communication.
- Have a neighbourhood hangout while keeping your physical boundaries.
- Make a phone call.